Pages

Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Nineteith Minute, Part 2


No, he is not hurt, he is kissing the "land" of Israel.
When we got off of the airplane I had a wave of nostalgia for the country I had left just several hours before. We got off the plane and walked down a staircase to the ground and boarding busses instead of walking straight into the terminal. Now this might sounds ridiculous, but I remember when you used to fly into Ben Gurion Airport and go through the same process. It used to be a little different because the when more religious passengers stepped onto the tarmac, they would get down on their knees and kiss the 'land,' which was sort of strange because the asphalt there hasn't even been there since the time of Herzl, let alone the time of King David.

Once through the teensy airport we got onto a chartered bus that took us to our hotel. On the way, an Israeli woman named Orit told us a little about the Island and some activities she organized for all of us (if we were interested). The two of us were surprised and happy that we could understand everything that she was saying in Hebrew. We decided that we were not interested in touring around Malta with a bunch of Israelis who were, on average, 15-20 years older than us.

Also, we had some scuba diving to do!

Krispini: a way to put Christmas
cheer on your hands and that romantic
garlic smell on your breath
We got to our hotel in the early afternoon. Josh decided to go for his first dive so he took a bus to the diving center while I took a nap and then went shopping for some groceries. In the area we were staying there were no big grocery stores, but there were lots of cute markets, sort of similar to a makolet in Israel. I bought us provisions for the coming days including a curious snack of garlic-flavored hollow crunchy sticks. We were surprised by how good they were when we ate them the next day, but I was a little creeped out by the Christmas-like green and red residue that they left on my hand that resembled glitter in look and processed garlic and salt in flavor.

On the first night Josh and I decided to take a nap before finding a place for dinner. When we woke up in the morning, we realized that we had taken a bit more than a nap. Rejuvenated and ready for the coming day, we packed sandwiches and headed down to the continental breakfast buffet. We liberated a few fruits from the buffet and then got picked up by the diving school.

In the process or scuba diving certification I had to watch three videos that looked like they were made in the 80's, replete with musical transitions of synthesizers and drum-kits, short-shorts, and different dated fonts for every important note that you needed to remember in order to prevent injury. At the end of the last video, the copyright date said 1999.

The other section is the practical, where you actually get to go into the water and practice the skills that you saw in the videos. My favorite skill that I had to learn is the controlled emergency ascent which involves taking your regulator (mouth piece) out and yelling "AAAAHHHHHHHHH" as you ascend to the surface. Yelling is not necessary, but I learned that it makes it a lot more fun. The idea is to prevent the air in your lungs from expanding too much and causing your lungs to burst, therefore you expel at a consistent rate until you reach the surface.

Me and Josh
The open water dives that I went on were very cool. I got to swim through schools of tiny fish and swim around the rusted metal skeleton of an old ship. I don't think I could tell you more about what I saw down there because I was too busy concentrating on maintaining my buoyancy and equalizing the pressure in my sinuses (think clearing your ears on an airplane).

2 comments:

  1. WOW! That s so cool. I am glad you are taking advantage of all your time, youth and ability to learn SCUBA DIVING!! SO jealous.
    You are the best Sam. Missing you, and enjoying your Tel Aviv Tales all the same.
    Hugs,
    Yael

    ReplyDelete
  2. dude, seriously jealous. you sound like you're having too much fun and liberated fruit. :)

    ReplyDelete